Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Jobs

I, too, have thought about law school, but then I remember that the only kind of law I would like to perform would be law that would not make any money. That, in itself, doesn't bother me, but I render myself queasy at the thought that I would go into large amounts of debt from which I would never emerge! Plus, I was recently listening to some good ol' John Grisham on a book on tape (I commute a lot these days, but that's another story), and he referred to law school as the babysitter for middle class twenty-somethings. Kinda a cruel thing to say, but I see his point: too many people (apparently) go to law school because they are not quite sure what else to do. Still, the thought continues to traverse my mind... (btw: Amy--I am totally intrigued by your new job! You must have bizarre stories to tell...)

As for Keri's comment to my post--glad to know I am not the only one out there with job identity issues. My story is a bit different, but we have the same concerns. Currently, I am moving out of adjuncting teaching, which has been interesting. People not in academia always appear quite impressed that I teach at UCONN. They clearly think I am a professor (even when I try to clarify things) and that I do well for myself. What's funny is that, while many people I meet (usually Elliot's parents' friends; I don't really know people my own age anymore) seem to look at me with respect, I know that within academia I am the very lowest on the totem pole. As an adjunct, universities specifically limit how much you can teach so that they do not have to give you medical benefits or a pension plan. Although I have not had this happen to me, I have read about a plethora of cases where adjuncts lack offices, photocopying allotments, and can have their courses yanked with days of the start a semester, leaving them with no income at a moment's notice. Furthermore, within academia, faculty often look at adjuncts as the one's who "couldn't hack it," and thus deserving of their position. My point is not to rant about the situation (although I can do that forever), but to note the bizarre conflict in my situation: some seem impressed by me, but I am anything but impressed. Hence, I am getting out, which means now people who were once impressed now seem disappointed since I'll no longer be "a professor," although I never was one to begin with!!

Enough about me!

Amy, what other bizarre jobs have you had?

Keri, at what point are you in you teaching career (are you certified? Master's in something? Currently with a job?)? Forgive me for being so clueless!

Alice, when do you go back to work??

2 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger Alice said...

Too soon, all too soon! I just talked to my boss about when my leave "officially" started. Somewhere around Aug. 10 is when I'll go back. Yick. I am trying to find another job.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger oscar said...

The more I read and talk to people, I have come to believe that the way to handle having a family with bringing in an income is to start your own business (easier said than done, I know)! I have a couple of friends who are about to make this move, since they are convinced their current jobs will not allow them to have and properly raise children. Worth thinking about...

Enjoy your last days at home! I'm glad your mom will be helping out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home